The Summer Reading Challenge takes place annually between mid July and early September. Produced by The Reading Agency and run in libraries, the Summer Reading Challenge is a great way to keep children reading over the summer.
It is the UK’s biggest annual reading for pleasure programme for children aged 4 to 11. Children read six library books, of their choice, over the summer collecting rewards along the way. Every child who completes the challenge receives a certificate and medal.
Children who take part:
- are more enthusiastic about reading
- maintain their reading levels over the holiday
- boost their reading confidence and self-esteem
- enhances and supports the mission for all children to read widely and often
- prevents the tendency for children’s reading to dip over the holidays
Schools can access a digital schools pack which includes:
- an introduction to the challenge and current theme
- a promotional poster - printable
- web/email graphics
- suggested text for newsletters/websites
- a powerpoint assembly presentation to introduce the challenge to children